Wednesday, August 7, 2013

It's Steamy Outside! And the fun Continues!

It's been hot, hot, hot, but the rain has stayed away so far!  We are looking for another great day both with the weather and activities.  The days are long and so full of things for teens to do!  I can't imagine any boredom.  But knowing teens, they'll find something to talk about!

Yesterday, I spoke of a Springs trip.   When they got there, they found it closed due to too much rain.  It looks like the spring trips are a bust for 2013.  Have no fear, there are plenty of choices for today!

Here are the classes.  They choose one in the morning and one in the afternoon:

Outdoor Cooking:  On the menu is Mountain Dew Chicken, Sausage Balls, Upside Down Chocolate Cake, and Donuts.  Don't let them tell you they can't cook a meal for themselves anymore!  Just let them make an open fire in your backyard and they'll show you! (I hope my daughter took this class, I can't wait to try Mountain Dew Chicken!)

Swimming
Boating
Kayaking
Not so Bored Board Games (Great Family Night Activity to keep them away from their electronics at home)
Switchboards & Harddrives
How to Make Egro:  Mad Science Experiments
Zombie Apocalypse:  Outdoor Survival skills with Archery....(I see a Reality Show in the making!)
Facebook Etiquette:  Something we could all use!!!
and 
LARPING:  Live Action Role Playing where they dress up like wizards and pretend to fight? (I'm not quite sure about this one)

What would you pick if you were here?

It's important that camp offers a variety of things that each child can pick that fits their personality.  We even like to encourage them to pick something that they have never done before.  That is what camp is all about.  Those "indoor cats" get to try to be "outdoor cats" and the "outdoor cats" get to try to be "indoor cats".  We hope the lesson is "try it, you may like it".  The biggest trick is to see if they can try it without complaining!!  

Neva Batzell, the camp director, and her very competent staff have a variety of choices for our campers.  It is their last camp of a very long summer season, and I am amazed that they seem as fresh as the first week of summer.  Thank you, Neva for keeping the night vigil from 1 - 7am to make sure our campers keep THEMSELVES out of trouble at night!!!

I'll talk to you later tonight!

OMK STAFF
Carol Gallant






1 comment: